Get reacquainted with your childhood through this Hoch-inspired rendition of an iconic frozen treat.
Ice Cream Shan-wich
- Bread: The Hoch carries a basic selection of breads to choose from. I personally prefer sourdough, as it counters the sweetness of the ice cream. You can toast your bread if you’d like.
- Ice Cream: I recommend scooping a little bit of both flavors and putting them on blind date. Mango sorbet and mint chip? An instant classic. Espresso chip and green tea? A match made in heaven.
- Accompaniment: There are a multitude of ways to spice up your sandwich. Strawberry jam provides a great compliment to strawberry ice cream. Chocolate sprinkles and peanuts enhance the texture profile. If you feel health-conscious, a few leafs of spinach can’t hurt. Other examples of recommended accompaniments include chocolate syrup, yogurt, and bacon.
- Grab two pieces of bread.
- On each open face, apply your accompaniments.
- Scoop ice cream on top of accompaniments.
- Complete the sandwich by bonding the open faces.
Tips and Warnings
- Your friends will judge you mercilessly.
- Avoid melted ice cream.
- College is a place for experimentation. No cookies allowed.
- Fun fact: Frary and Malott dining halls have packaged ice cream sandwiches.
- I advise against using the Hoch’s frozen yogurt. This is where experimentation becomes sacrilege.